More Learning in the D



Today we went to Citadel of Faith in Detroit to try to help load/unload prep/pack baskets to get to families in need in Detroit. It was a great day in Detroit-beautiful day with sun shining, got to see people that I haven't seen in many months, and got to see God today. I really engaged with people that were there today. It wasn't the homeless. It wasn't necessarily those in need, but I served the people that were there serving.
First off, it was my honor to watch tmp showing her given talents and showing the joy in her heart. It was great to see people working together. It was clear that the devil did not want things to happen. But because people are faithful to him, it came to pass. I wish that every single person that came to serve today could have heard what Harvey Carey said when we were there putting tables away. He went through the story of Jesus multiplying food, even though the disciples wanted to 'send them away'-that being the people that were coming to hear Jesus. The miracles that he did to serve others. Carey talked about the boxes of food being joy, and this is the part that hit me: LISTEN UP LOVERS-
He said that we are not here to take this food to the 'poor people'. We are not here to make ourselves feel better. We are here to serve them. We are going to take this food to them, and this is an opportunity for us to give this food to Jesus. If we humble ourselves and stop serving ourselves for these few moments, we can humble ourselves in front of Jesus (the people that we are serving). Jesus said 'you do this to the least of my brothers, you do it to me.' Carey talked about us doing this to the least. Marginalized people.
I had a struggle this week with one of my friends. He asked if we were doing Thanksgiving baskets at our house because 'last year, it really filled me up.' I really struggled with that. But when Carey spoke today, I felt like God was confirming my thoughts and intentions. We are called to serve. If you really study the bible, Paul describes religion as this: serving the widows and the orphans. I felt like Jesus was in Carey and speaking right to me. And saying that we can deliver this box of love to these homes, and when we do this, we are humbling ourselves before Jesus. So we don't see someone that has made poor decisions. We don't see someone with limited educational and employment opportunities. We don't see babies having babies. We don't see someone that is inferior to us. We see Jesus. We see a creation of God that is beautiful and worthy and incredibly made. We see that because we are willing to humble ourselves with all of our own personal sin and stand at the foot of Jesus and serve. And the glory and honor that comes to God through that action is something that is indescribeable, and the power of that in the Holy Spirit that can change the world is more powerful than anything we have ever imagined.
Thank you Jesus for speaking to me today. For asking me to humble myself before you and for showing me your grace, your mercy, and your love. You are the king of kings and lord of lords. And I can't believe you love me.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm about to comment on your blog, and you are sitting in front of me about 10 feet away. HA! Welcome to the new age of technology. Can't I just speak my words, instead of sending them through cyber space? Anyways, it's so fun to grow closer to our Lord, while growing closer to each other, getting closer to being the people He created us to be. What an honor to serve the creator!
Morgan's Mom said…
It was an honor to serve Him and to be along with you on that bright and sunny day!!

Popular posts from this blog

Too, Too, Too Much Fun

Big Difference.

My Communication Arsenal