Christmas is Coming


Christmas is near. If you sit quiet and still, you can hear it. It starts way off in the distance, and you think to yourself-what is that noise? Then you realize it is the quiet hum of Christmas Carols, and as Christmas nears, it gets louder, and more well defined. It brings joy to your heart as you gain insight into Christmas past, revel in the Christmas present, and look forward to the Christmases of the future. Yesterday, I experienced all three of these.

I use this analogy because I had the fortune of spending an evening with my nephew-jojo-on Thursday night. It was his birthday present to spend an evening out with 'Uncle T$'. It always sounds nice when you tell them it is their gift, but really for the last several years, those evenings with my nephews have been gifts to me. Pickle Head and Spanky have raised beautiful young men and ladies in their quest to 'teach them in the ways of the Lord'. What an honor it is for me to be able to spend time with any and all of them on a regular basis. This will be sorely missed when we move to the city. Anyway, we went to see a Christmas Carol, and so as I reflect on my world yesterday, I will use the analogy of the three Christmases.

The ghost of Christmas past...

It's really not a ghost thing, but it sounds more official. I realize just how foolish I have been in the past for Christmas. I don't think I was ever out of control, but when you get caught up in this world, and the worldly things in this world, you lose vision of the true meaning of Christmas. Just as the skit I participated in for the kids at church reminded me-it's not about the presents (grinch), it's not about the food (gingerbread man), it's not about who guided the sleigh (rudolph), and it's not about the snow (frosty). It is about the Creator of the universe sending His one and only Son into this world of stupidity so that we might see Him and grow to love Him and turn away from this world. So I ask forgiveness for my stupidity in this world full of dirt and darkness.
The ghost of Christmas present...
Again, no ghost really. If I'm going to be honest with you, going to the Superstar side of the family's Christmas get together has never been in the top 10 Christmas activities for me. But this year, it was incredible. A lot of me living in the present had to do with a posting from my friend shoeless mike. He basically said that Christmas is a blessing when God allows us to sit in a warm house, smell the food, hear children laugh, time to enjoy each other and the company of those we love. He said 'this is Christmas'. So as I spent time at the party yesterday, I savored those morsels of God's blessings in my spirit. I hugged those that I don't normally hug. I shook hands just a little bit longer, and made eye contact more than ever. I engaged in conversations with those I usually avoid...you get the idea. And it was the best superstar side Christmas I have ever had.
Another Christmas present-serving with the sick family yesterday overwhelmed me. I saw Jesus in the snow we cleared to have our BBQ in the park. I saw Jesus in the over 100 bags of hope we distributed. I saw Jesus in the bibles we handed out. I saw Jesus in our Christmas tree we set up. I saw Jesus in the homeless men that grabbed a shovel and helped us set up for the party. What better Christmas present is there? Thank you sick family for your love.

The ghost of Christmas future....
Don't ask, there's no ghost. And this morning I think of Christmas future. I am not certain where we will be living. I am not certain where I will be working, or what the exact path is for my work with my current company. I am not certain how we will sell our house in the worst economic times, possibly ever. I am not certain where my children will attend school. I am not certain of what I need to do to follow Jesus. But I do have Hope. I have hope that God sent His son to be born in a manger. To live a perfect life without sin. To speak the truth in a world that is lost and dark and damaged. To bring Healing to those that are sick and hurt and lonely. I have hope because:

John 1:1-5
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning.
Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it."

I have hope because Jesus was always with God, so he knows everything. That is the hope for me for Christmas future. He knows. And I will work to trust him more each day. I will strive for the prize, and seek His will for each Christmas in the future.

Grace and Peace.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm with ya.
When we truly let the spirit take over, our hearts are new. Everything has a new element of joy. Hanging out and serving in Detroit, then going to the griswold family Christmas is a Christmas memory that will forever be fond to me. I felt renewed love for friends I was serving with, for people we were blessed to serve, and for my family. GOd is good.
Anonymous said…
I am glad you let your light shine before men that all may know HIM by your love.
It is a wonderous thing to go from the purple sweater dude with the mulett: to the Jesus Jogger. And even more amazing to go from Pickel Head to Christ serving mama. With God all things are possible.

Popular posts from this blog

Too, Too, Too Much Fun

Big Difference.

My Communication Arsenal