Disturbing to Devotion

Saturday, I met our potential new landlords. It was nice, I think it went well, and they are a very nice couple. I have not heard anything yet, and you would think that it would be driving me crazy, but it's not even bothering me. That could only be explained by feeling like God has spared me the worry or concern.

But walking through the city yesterday afternoon, I experienced something disturbing. As I walked around, I really just enjoyed seeing different things, people, and places that I have not been to yet along with places I have seen. But I was walking, listening to my Ipod, and I noticed a group of men standing on a corner reading their bibles. I was instantly interested in what they were doing, so I took out my earbuds, and stopped to see what they were reading, or what they were discussing. I honestly didn't notice that it was a group of african americans until after. But as I stood there, one member of the group asked me what the ____ I thought I was doing. Another member started walking toward me telling me 'this ain't nono of your ____ing business _____ _____. And to get the ______ out of here. I know they were holding their bibles that were open to I think Corinthians. I was frightened that the man was going to physically assault me, or that I had done something that I shouldn't have and that I needed to get out of there. Mind you, later I realized this was in Times Square, and it was the middle of the afternoon. This disturbed my spirit deeply. How could someone that was obviously engaged in some bible discussion have that much hate? Later that night, the pastor and I happened upon the same group. One man was holding a picture of a black woman obviously beat up, bruised, and swollen. The sign said some type of reference about the woman deserving it. I couldn't even stand to look. No wonder non-christians think we are idiots.

So I go from this disturbing experience yesterday to an incredible experience today. I took the slow boat train for an hour and had some great devotional time with Jesus while listening to some great worship music. I attended a lutheran service that was completely in arabic. It was in brb-where my school will hopefully open next fall. I got to have coffee with the president of the bible college he started in 1979 that is located in Jerusalem. I also got to have his sermon translated by the priest at the church. Also got to be there with the yankee and pastor, and spend time with them on the slow boat. That is just an example of the endless possibilities that God has here in this city. If you had told me three years ago I would be staying at the Hilton in Manhattan for work, and attend a lutheran service in arabic in brooklyn today, I think I would have set up an intervention for you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Too, Too, Too Much Fun

Big Difference.

10 years in a day