My Friend in Christ


The story begins with a prayer on my part, and if I am remembering correctly, this prayer began in 1997 or 1998 for me. Yes, over a decade ago, I began to periodically pray that God would help me to find a Godly man, a mentor, a person that I could learn about Him from, and bring that person into my life. Pretzel was a man that filled that role for a few years, and I am so thankful that I had my time with he, his wife, and our small group of years gone by.
But after losing that regular person in my life, I prayed this prayer again and again, and as I grew older and stronger (or weaker, depending on the season of life) in my faith, the prayer became more and more regular. I actually pursued this person, although I didn't know who it was at the time, by reaching out through the men's ministry in our church, friends, etc., but to no avail. So one day, at East, I ask pastor if 'he might know someone....this is what I'm looking to find....any ideas....'. He says: "Well, are you willing to move to nyc, because if you do, then I'd do it." (Laugh). Little did I know that 1/5/2010 I would be sitting in what is now a church office on the 15th floor at 33rd and 1st overlooking midtown manhattan talking about life, successes, struggles, and what it means to follow Jesus.
Last night, not only did our planning meeting fill my soul with hope that I needed, it refreshed my focus on what is most important. Today. Not the worries of tomorrow, but today. And that God is faithful to me. And that I don't need to be worried about anything. And as pastor and I talked last night, I once again found myself renewed in my relationship with Christ, and in my friendship with pastor. As I drove home along the FDR....as I drove across the Brooklyn Bridge.....as I looked over lower manhattan....as I drove past the statue of liberty....as I saw Ellis Island where both superstar and my relatives landed....I realized just how much my friendship with pastor means to me. That all of the friendships I desperately wanted to go deeper in with men in MI are realized in our friendship. That it's ok to be real with another man and work on each other to strengthen our relationship in Christ. That all things are possible if we are real with each other, and that celebrations and consternations can both benefit the kingdom.
Today I will live for today, I will not worry about tomorrow, and I will praise God for my dear friend I have in Christ.

Comments

Anonymous said…
MustardSeed lol wow.. for a Holy roller you sure know how to take down some one you do not know..I wonder sometimes..Harassing a teen of all things..I have seen what you have said from chat archived logs..no worries..since life is ying & yang..god my forgive you..But I don't and if me not forgiving you plays a part in your not crossing over..then so be it..I have done nothing to you...you know this..instead of listening to your heart..you listen to others..It's going to be a long wait in the middle of Dark Matter...

Popular posts from this blog

Too, Too, Too Much Fun

Big Difference.

By far the most beautiful.