10 years in a day

So my days are beginning to run together, and the timelines in my brain are blurry after being on the ground at CEM for three days or has it been four? Either way, let's just say that one day in India is like ten years. That is a pretty good description of what reality is like here. Pastor said that sandrews said that on a trip here many years ago, and I was shocked by just how accurate of a statement that was. A day here can bring life events that you might be exposed to once in ten years living the way we live in the US of A. Here, life is hard. No matter what. As we drove to a 'village church' yesterday, we were what one team member describes as 'in the boonies.' (What does that mean exactly?) We saw things that I don't even know if I would have seen in 10 years living in the US. Men harvesting sugar cane and loading it on trucks. That sounds like a very simple sentence, and a very simple thing to do. But when it is in the upper 90's, and there is no shade to be found for miles, that is some hard ass work. (Sorry for the expletive, but I feel it was appropriate.) Brick factories - literally a brick building where they burn fires inside until it is hot enough to dry out the bricks and blocks they are making. Men taking goods from here to there on bicycles - and you wouldn't even imagine the products that they transport. And the village church may be one of the most incredible experiences I have had in my life. Thatch roof - burlap for walls, and maybe 25 people singing worshiping God - mostly for our benefit. Children. Women. And a few men, but they were out working. The pastor there is a graduate of the MTS - missionary training school - that is on the CEM campus. The joy on his face as we came to visit. ANd yes, we did have to use a stick to hold up the power wire so it wouldn't hit the bus as we drove down the village street. We have also invented a video game of sorts - yet to be named - but the premise of the game is as you drive through India and dodge rickshaws, motorcycles, pedestrians, water buffalos and the like, you get pee and poop points. Not when you actually do, but when you spot someone on the side of the road partaking in those activities. As of today, we are up to 22 with 4 poopers - what I understand to be a pretty high percentage. One of them the entire bus got to witness the 'cleaning' portion of the activity. All right then. Enough about the game. Also got to visit a home of a family that spoke no English - but we sat on the only chairs they had and pointed and smiled. ALso got to see the orphans getting their teeth checked, pulled, etc. Not my ball of tea. Also was asked to give my testimony to the MTS class and that was the first time I have had to do something like that with my personal translator, and new Indian friend Naveem. I could go on and on, but my head is reeling in the moments here. This afternoon, pastor, double d and I are going to go for a run. Did I mention it is in the upper 90's? I am sure that three white guys jogging in our running gear will attract some attention. As I sit here and think about the beautiful people of India and the last thirty some years - or shall I say 3.5 days? - I am fortunate to be sitting on this rooftop learning from God and from my newfound Indian friends. I look out and see the beautiful palm trees of this tropical place. And they mask with their beauty the reality of just how hard life is here, and how the experiences in one day can affect the hardships people face. I pray for this community that clearly God has his hand in. I pray that the love of God might open up the hearts and minds of people across the world to sharing in the wealth we have so that others might be served and live lives where their needs are met. Where they experience love and mercy in a new way. May Jesus bless the staff here at CEM for the work they do each day to be servants for others. To remove their own selves and put others ahead in this life. God Bless India.

Comments

KT said…
I am amazed, and still so excited for your journey. It was one of the best things EVER to face time with Alli. Life is good brother. Enjoy your last few days. LUV.
really good post thanks 4 sharing this post with us
what a fantastic and a amazing post
nice words really amazing a lot
tegel outlet said…
Great post Thanks for sharing

Popular posts from this blog

Too, Too, Too Much Fun

Big Difference.

My Communication Arsenal