This is my India.

Here I sit on the rooftop in Dowlaiswaram, India. Approximately 7800 miles from home. So many things that I could share about this trip, and I am only a bit over 24 hours into my stay here at CEM. I didn't even mind any of the travel at all, save the 7 hour layover in Mumbai. That sucked butt. Just sayin. But part of that travel was one of my favorite bits so far. Sitting on a bus, open windows, travelling the streets of India. Many memories flashed before me of my time in Ecuador. Horns honking. Crazy driving. People walking on tbe streets, bikes, motorcylcles, water buffalo, pigs, dogs, whatever. And the people. It is a hard life here in India for the people. And it is dirty. Beyond what you would imagine as the norm. The open sewers aren't immediately what you see, but you certainly do smell it. And when you walk around, you might see somewhat of a 'back up' in different places. Piles of garbage and other things. And you think to yourself - how can people live like this? But it is normal here. It is India normal. And after a bit, it isn't what you pay attention to. It goes back to the people. Let's just say that I am blessed to be here. Greeted upon our arrival with lines of boys and girls tossing flower petals at you as you go through the gauntlet. Smiles. Joy. Love. Each child wants you to know their name. KNow who they are. "Whats my name" - not a question, but a statement waiting your response. And Rajeep does not necessarily roll off my tongue on day one whilst sleep deprived. But playing soccer with the boys in the yard. Sitting with the boys practicing getting their names right. Smiles. Joy. Love. And the staff here - God Bless each of them. Especially the nice ladies that do all the cooking. Unbelievable servants. For God. We got to have a tour, and we got to meet the 14 elderly that are now living on campus. Elderly that have been abandoned by their families. Left to die with no dignity. And the smiles. The joy. The love. What an honor to just sit next to them. Of course, Talagoo is not something I am fluent in, but I can truly say I just enjoyed the moments sitting next to them for the last two days. We can't understand each other at all. But somehow we convey to each other that we are thankful to be together. Even if we can't talk. Did I mention the smiles? The joy? The love? I feel this overwhelming me from God. The love. The unconditional love - even when we are not speaking the same language to each other. Or we can't hear each other. But we sit next to each other, just me and God. And we rest in each others' presence. And that fades as you try to do things with the Indian people. They don't have social touch boundaries or personal space rules. You push your way to the line - of course from the side, as really they don't have lines. And I found myself just taking that in. Uncomfortable yes, but taking it in. And I feel like God was showing me that I am a foreigner. And I need to love them. They aren't doing anything wrong, just living the way they live. They are different than me. And God points out to me that that is ok. It's ok to be different. We are still people. And I can say I love the people of India. They are beautiful. I wish I could take some of them home with me. Even my friend from the elderly home. I imagine him living with our family. Neither of us knowing what to say to each other, but just sitting next to each other and loving each other. The way God created us to live. Loving. Loving each other. Loving others more than ourselves. Love. Such a powerful tool to change the world. And CEM is full of love. And because I am here, I am filled with the love. I praise Him for teaching me in the moments I am here. In the interactions with our team, and with my people of India. I have so many other things to tell, but save that for later. You may want to do some pre-reading for my next post which I am certain God has brought to me even today to teach me. Read Ephesians 2. More to come. I wish you smiles. I wish you joy. I wish you love. This is my India.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Too, Too, Too Much Fun

Big Difference.

My Communication Arsenal