Life on the Block.

Yesterday indeed was one of the best days I have had in Brooklyn in my whole life. If you follow MSD, you know that doesn't seem all that strong of a statement since we are going into year 3 here, but nonetheless, it was a fantastic day. Thanks to Chuck and Gerardo for coordinating the back end work it takes to get approval from the city, police, etc. to shut down our street and have a 'block party'. They really are a couple of great guys that really have a care for this neighborhood, and it is just a glimpse to me of how us New Yorkers take ownership of our neighborhoods and our streets - and look out for each other. That happened to a certain extent in MI, but it is a much deeper, more profound care here in my eyes. So as we sat on our street, superstar and I were able to make new connections with neighbors we have not yet met, able to deepen connections we already had, and very much enjoy the day with our block. You can see in the photos some of the great things we were able to participate in and enjoy. It was great talking to "Uncle Jack" Kelly - who is the custodian at Liv's school and enjoy his company, as well as the fine selection of beers he assembles for the block party. I certainly have had my share of Pabst in the past, and although it frightens me, I have had a Schlitz before. But we did get to enjoy a Rheingold, as well as a Schaefer, which I have come to understand are old school Brooklyn beers that used to be the choice of many in their youths. (My evaluation is the Rheingold is something I would drink again, the Schaefer, not so much.) It really is so much joy to watch all of the kids on our block, as well as all their family and friends to enjoy biking, skateboarding, tricycling and the like pretty much all day and all night. Man, were the girls tired at the end of the day. Enjoyed getting to know the artist formerly known as James a bit more, watch Sylvia celebrate her three birthday, and chat with neighbors along with superstar. Spending time with our friend from India, and KK is such a sweet man. Enjoying shrimp toast, broccoli raab sausage, superstar cookies, and a lot of other junk. Among all the unknowns in making this shift from suburbia to bkly, yesterday felt like we are fulfilling what God wanted for us. The Duke (another neighbor) asked just how we figured out that this was going to be such a great block to move to in making that shift. I told him that we simply feel like God led us to this place, and we are so very fortunate and blessed by this place we live. Trusting Him in this move has been such a lesson in humility, in listening, in trying to set your own desires aside to follow Jesus. In doing so, God continues to blow me away with how doing just that fulfills all the desires I have tried to fill on my own without His guidance. I am so thankful that I continue to learn how to trust Him with more and more. Also - yesterday was the first time that I have ever had the priveledge to drive a delivery person's vespa. Here is how that unfolded. The artist formerly known as James and I were standing at the end of our street where the cones and faux fence was set up. A guy comes onto our street past the cones and shuts off his vesps - obviously hispanic with an accent. He says - "I am just making a delivery to 64. It's ok?" So I ask him his name, start chatting in espanol, find out he is Alvaro. Me: "Yeah, but you have to let me drive your scooter." Alvaro: "OK, let me do delivery first, then you can drive." Me: "OK." So Alvaro does to do the delivery, comes back to us, and gets off, starts to take his helmet off and asks "You want helmet?" No, I say, I'll go without it. So I take the vespa for a ride down the shut off street. Just laughing as I ride down the street. Sheer joy in what is actually taking place. I think Alvaro thought we were security or something, but irregardless, I am thankful that Alvaro let me ride. Best day of my life in Brooklyn for certain. EVAR.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Too, Too, Too Much Fun

Big Difference.

10 years in a day