The Wow Factor

Living in this city has not worn off on me in the least. I am blown away each and every single day that God had this city in His plans for the kkft, and in particular for me. I mean, usually we are going camping for the Labor Day weekend with the whole K gang at Uncle Don's Campground, and that I missed because of the fun laughs and smiles we would share, even if Shivo was making her noises. But this year's LD weekend involved a few new experiences. Sick pete and two of the girls were with us. No big whoop. Wedding in Central Park Saturday morning with one of my heroes, briggsy. (Why is he my hero? Because he is following Jesus, and because of that, he came to nyc with no job. Wanted to leave, but continued to follow Him, and then he found his wife, moved back to MI to get real jobs, and ....)
Then we spent time doing wonderful things with them, including getting caught up into Brazil Fest 2009. So full, you can't even understand how to move from one inch to the next without someone in a soccer jersey bumping into you. Also walked around time square, empire state building, and much more. And for Labor Day, drove out long island and went to Jones Beach and swam in the ocean with the girls and the pastor. Body surfing waves were incredible today, and it was fantastic.

All that is well and good. But the Wow Factor of living here is something I don't think will go away for me. Driving along the Belt Parkway, seeing the Atlantic Ocean on one side of me, the skyline of Manhattan on the other.... Spending time on trains where no one is speaking in English... Knowing what it means to be part of a 'neighborhood' that you take ownership in... Seeing the incredible money and the incredible poverty.... Looking up to see the skyline in lights or just a gigantic skyscraper... Watching Olivia run down the sidewalk on the way to somewhere... Sharing verses with others on the walk of their lifetime... Being mentored once again by the best mentor evar.... Opening a brand new school for students that are in dire need of a quality learning opportunity.... Loving my wife as a 'brooklynite' more each day... Running through Prospect Park or biking or standing or just looking around.... Buying a brand new grill that doesn't suck.... Watching movies with the girls in our new cozy living room... Spending time with anyone in communitas....

I could go on and on. There is a piece of me that misses the old life I once had. But that is a piece that is quite small, and seems to continue to get smaller. I miss my family fo sho. I miss my friends a bunch. It saddens me to think of the distance physically between them. But the spirit of them with me, the presence of their love, friendship, affection, and care are enough to push me on the road here. The joy I will always share with them and no one will take away no matter where I am at or who I am with. The Wow Factor of the city is more than I could ever ask for to help me enjoy my daily bread that only God could provide. Thank you Jesus.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Too, Too, Too Much Fun

Big Difference.

By far the most beautiful.