Daily Bread

Sunday, pastor's wife asked me to speak to communitas at the gathering. About the 'daily bread' that God has given superstar and I in our journey to nyc. It was a great excercise in processing the daily struggle to follow Jesus. Particularly when He calls you to do something that is abnormal-sell your house, quit your job, move to one of the largest cities on the planet, and start a church. See, I enjoyed my daily bread in my suburban lifestyle. Waking each day in the home I built the way I wanted to build it, with the car I wanted to buy in the garage, going to the job I thought was best for me, eating, drinking, smoking when and what I wanted when i wanted it, serving myself first instead of focusing on others, living my life the way I wanted to live it. Don't misunderstand, I think I was following God somewhat, but not really.

So my daily bread conversation at the gathering (that was supposed to be 10 minutes, but went 20) was a strengthening reminder to me of what I need to do in my life. See below:

1) Put others first.
2) Trust Jesus to fill my every need.
3) Listen to the prompting of the Holy Spirit.
4) Repeat steps 1 throught 3.

Challenging to say the least. But on my desk at work is a dish that now holds pens/pencils/markers/highlighters. It says "Everyday is a gift from God." That is enough bread to sustain me today. The bread of life is enough to get me through each day, each moment, each struggle that satan tries to trick me in. Delicious daily bread, that's all I need to eat today.

Comments

Charlotte Kelly said…
I love eating bread with you each day! God is good to us.
Anonymous said…
I am glad he not only give us bread, we get pickels too. Our God is worthy of our worship.
Pickel Head

Popular posts from this blog

Too, Too, Too Much Fun

Big Difference.

By far the most beautiful.