Who are you? Who are you?

If you are in my 'demographic group', you have most likely seen the movie from the 80's The Breakfast Club. For people my age, it was a first to exemplify the teen angst that goes on in all types of kids from different cliques. It taught us that even if you are from different backgrounds, interests, and socioeconomic lines, you can get to a point of commonality. Let's get back to the point-

As I went for a jog in my neighborhood Sunday morning, I was thoroughly enjoying the sabbath my superstar encouraged me to take and enjoy. (PS-Congratulations to the star for today is our 13th Wedding Anniversary. I love her more today than ever, and long to kiss her on the mouth and hold her in my arms.) My first thought was to walk up to the park and run there because it is so beautiful. But I felt prompted to run through our neighborhood. As I created my own route 'up the hill' (that's how they refer to the hill in our neighborhood-you either live up the hill or down the hill-we happen to be about in the middle of the hill, but nobody says that), I felt that God was asking me this question-"Who are you?"

The question resonated with me in deep parts I knew I had, but often can't get to. It so reminded me of the scene from Breakfast Club when Anthony Micheal Hall is sitting in the library contemplating the question for his essay of the same variety. So that is what I was doing as I ran along-"Who are you? Who are you? Who are you?" (In a variety of voices by the by) And as I reflected on the question, I had the realization that I am not who I used to be just a couple of short years ago. I am who I wanted to become. I am not the suburbanite capitalistic obtainer, I am the urbanite essentialist. I am not the self-serving comfort driven 30 something male, I am the Jesus seeking others centered (alright, at least it's my goal-get off my back) God-fearing man. As I ran along, I felt that God was prompting me to focus on this question continually and see how I answered.

I can tell you this week away from my new home, my family, and my friends was a challenge to be who God wants me to be. Don't freak out there were no major problems. But each day is SO challenging to truly engage with Who are you? as a purpose statement, and through prayer and petition I will strive to follow Jesus.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Too, Too, Too Much Fun

Big Difference.

10 years in a day