Fasting

I never really understood why people would fast for God. Honestly, I did not get it. Even over the last six months, I have fasted from food for 24 hours, and still didn't get it. But this week I did a two day fast. Pastor's wife last Sunday asked about this job I'm up for-I explained to her that it is kind of a dream job. She says-"That's it then, we're fasting for two days this week. What days are we going to do it?" I'm like.........um...........ok. I really didn't think that I could do it. 24 hours was tough enough for me personally, and I like eating. So superstar, pastor's wife, pastor and I commit to doing this for two days. The next day, megs says she is in on the fast. Pastor explained in a different conversation that day that doing this as a community going before God and asking for his intercession is very biblical and humbling, and honoring to God.

So I get all that. But the two days were very humbling for me. I drank juice, soy milk, whatever, but not a bite of food. The two days was very long. But I felt very close to God the entire time, and I feel like it was honoring to him that we were all in agreement with His will and that we wanted to submit to His place for me. So the morning we are to start the fast, my brother calls me. We usually talk once a month or so about life, catch up, etc. The last couple of years, our conversations have gotten deeper and we regularly talk about our walk. He mentions fasting with some guys at work. I say that that is funny because I just started a fast (this is Wed. morning), and he says that he and his buddies are going to join us in the fast on Thursday. That was just a gift from God. Then bro goes into what he has learned about fasting and how to specifically pray about something during your fast. Another gift from God. As are the pastor and his family. All gifts. Glorious gifts from God pour over you when you follow and honor His word and His will. I will fast again soon to be close to Him, and He will be close to me.

Comments

Anonymous said…
It is especially cool to realize that we are not just physical beings. We are also spiritual beings. And it is so cool to make a decision to put your spiritual self in a position of control over your physical. To let that demanding physical body know that it CAN submit to the spirit. And that physical part of you will keep shouting out and demanding to be in control, and you just have to tell it to shut up. FOr me, letting my spirit be in control was amazing. It brought my spiritual self to life and I was able to engage with God on such a deeper level. Very humbling.

Popular posts from this blog

Too, Too, Too Much Fun

Big Difference.

By far the most beautiful.