Straight Up The Middle

Well, after much time in the gym, and specific tasks, I am once again running.  Yesterday, 6.61 miles in Prospect Park felt absolutely wonderful.  A big part of the running that I do is spent in prayer.  Praying for others, praying for my family, praying that God open my eyes to what I need to see, hear, know.  This has become sacred time for me - something I desperately need.  And without running, I have missed the intimate time with God - walking and praying just doesn't seem to fit the need I have - it works, just doesn't seem the same experience.  As I ran yesterday, I prayed for my now teenage daughter (yes, it is true, I am officially now old).  She is becoming such a beautiful young woman.  By that I don't mean cute, although she certainly is pretty.  I mean inside - her character.  God shows me her beauty in ways I only hoped she might develop, and it is good.  Thanks much to Superstar and the specific work she does to pour into the girls' lives.
But as I ran, I decided to not stay on the perimeter road that I usually run.  I felt like I should run 'straight up the middle' of the park.  And so I did.  I stayed on paths that interlace the center portion of the park.  And as I ran, that phrase 'straight up the middle' started to resonate in my soul.  I played football in high school, and yes, that was a long time ago.  By my calculations, the last time I was on the field to play was 26 years ago this fall.  I played center on offense for the most part, and inside linebacker on defense for the most part.  If you are unfamiliar with those terms, the center is the guy that hikes the ball to the QB - who usually gets the attention from those off the field.  But the center is the leader of the offensive line for the most part - identifying defenses, leading the charge, assigning tasks to the linemen.  On the flip side, the linebackers are the ones that try to muck up the offensive charge in the center of the action.  LB's typically lead the defensive front and work to identify things going on, attack the ball, etc.  I recalled as I ran specific times when it was 4th and short on offense - and our coach (shout out Mr. B) saying we would go 'straight up the middle'.  That meant for me as the center to lead the line and force the defense backwards so that we could continue our fight down the field.  Without the strength, speed, and drive, it would equal failure without the initial push from the center to go straight up the middle and be successful.  Same thing on the other side.  LB's had the freedom to identify the play and attack the ball in order to stuff the offense and stop them from being successful.
And that connection seemed to resonate for the rest of my run.  I feel like God is calling me in my life to go straight up the middle.  And there are giants (not NY, but metaphorically) on the other side of the ball.  Whether I am playing offense or defense.  And He is calling me to continue straight up the middle.  And it is hard.  Challenging.  Difficult.  But He has built me up in the gymnasium of spiritual strength, and that helps me to get that inch.  To be lower -more humble?-than the guy across from me in this battle.  And I push with all my strength.  I attack what I see as contrary to success for my team.  And sometimes, I am blind to what is going on in the pile, but God leads me to drive through the hole without knowing what I will find on the other side.  And when I submit to that trust, that complete resolution to drive through without knowing what I will find straight up the middle, I enter a well-lit field with cheers and shouting because it is good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Too, Too, Too Much Fun

Big Difference.

My Communication Arsenal