Houston, we have a problem.

This week, I had the opportunity to attend a national conference in Houston, TX.  It was delightful being able to walk outside, go for a run, take an evening stroll, all while wearing shorts and a shirt.  No scarf, no gloves, no hat, no winter coat, no long pants, and the like.  This is the first time I have attended a conference in the last seven plus years outside of the company.  I was able to sit in sessions with some of the most well-renowned researchers and writers in education.  I actually got to sit down at a table one on one with a well known well respected 'authority' in my field and have a personal conversation. I got to thank him for helping me frame my brain on leadership, instruction, and quality schools - and what an impact his work has had on my brain in this area.  He even signed my book.  I also got to meet other professionals from Canada, Texas, New Hampshire, New York, Minnesota, Kentucky, Michigan, and even Australia.  And as I drove home from the airport (thanks again for the bump, first class flight the next day and $800 airfare for future use), I feel like God was really pressing something into me.  I have a strong desire to learn and grow.  And this is something that I feel God put into me and that has helped me to push myself and others to become better.  It was this week of "re-creating" at the conference that helped me come to this realization.  Superstar and I had a great conversation about this learning, and we both talked about how I used to read all the time when I was in my former position, and at the end of most days I don't want to read for work.  One of the most interesting sessions that I attended was about the lack of time for 'creativity' for both teachers and students in schools today.  Think about children's play - we used to have to make things up because there was no virtual world to engage in - we had to create a virtual reality.  Today, not so much.  Anywho - I realized I need to set time aside to not just spend time in activity like the Art Studio, running, time with family and friends, but time engaging in my own learning, my own time to be creative and be with others that do what I do.  And take that time of creation of ideas, and apply it to being better at what I do, so that those I lead can be better at what they do.  Now....to make that happen.......

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Too, Too, Too Much Fun

Big Difference.

My Communication Arsenal