Public Education and Being Your Best

I have been in public education for over two decades now, and worked in multiple states in multiple roles.  For the most part, leading others in some way shape or form - department chair, athletic coach, assistant principal, principal, leadership coach, communication coach, leadership development consultant, charter school management, school improvement facilitator....and more.  I have spent time in rural, suburban, and urban districts and/or schools.  I have spent time in cities such as Detroit, Flint, and Brooklyn doing the work of public education.  And I hope that soon our society, our neighborhoods, our legislative body, (all of humanity?) will admit that we are in CRISIS.  Teacher preparation programs are at low in their enrollment, graduation, certification.  If there is any indication of this crisis, find someone you know that works in public education, tell them your child is considering going into teaching and ask them what they would say to your child about that choice.  Most likely, you will get a response from those in public education to NOT go into this field.  Why?  Because our society does not value the work that teachers and leaders do.  We are put on public display and told we aren't cutting it.  Let's take a look at some data:  I started my first full time teaching job after several long-term positions in 1996.  My salary was 27,500 and included full health, dental, and optical insurance.  By that I mean I did not contribute dollars to receive that benefit, it was just part of the deal.  And speaking of part of the deal, I did not know what a co-pay was then, nor did I have to contribute my own money to receive the insurances.  When I went to the doctor, I didn't pay a dime unless it was maybe an MRI or other procedure where I paid little to receive.  I may have paid a few dollars at the dentist if I had some work done, but twice a year cleaning and xrays etc. did not include a charge.  I did have to pay if I wanted the better frames for my glasses, but my contacts were fully covered for a year.  Today, I contribute over $330 per month for my health care.  I have a $20 copay any time I want to see any medical person, and many procedures and processes I pay a good amount for out of my pocket.  Any dental work now I pay 40% for, even for regular cleaning.  I get $200 annually toward glasses or contacts, which means maybe I get a month of contacts.  I understand there are others that have it worse back then, and certainly now.  I am sharing this to help you understand a starting teacher now does not get the retirement benefits I have access to, they are pretty much on their own for retirement savings.  If I consider my costs for health care, doctors, dentists, optical, if I was starting today, I would actually make LESS money as a teacher today than when I began.  Why would anyone - even if they have a heart for children and learning and serving others - go into teaching?  Choosing to pay for your college and incur debt only to make less than the poverty level today does not seem wise.  Who will join me in reaching out to your legislators and lobby for our children and the future of this country?  We have plenty of lobbyists doing this so that their company or industry can make millions more than they do today.  Who is fighting for those that teach in order for any industry to have qualified and quality candidates to do good work?  Well, I guess it's just me.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Too, Too, Too Much Fun

Big Difference.

By far the most beautiful.