This is my neighborhood.

A midst all the chaos of everyday life, I have been enjoying having the Nini girls here this weekend - so happy that they came to visit our fair city, and I am just enjoying the time with them.  I can't help but think of years ago, the girls being just infants, or 2/3 years old running around, etc.  And now they are adults that bring joy to me.  But I digress.

I had the opportunity yesterday to watch God unpack my neighborhood to me in a whole new way.  One of the coolest experiences I have had here in BKLY for certain.  You see, Harold gave me a bike rack for my bike, which was pretty exciting to me.  But I needed a washer to make it work, and we needed some light bulbs.  It was a beautiful crisp day yesterday, so I told my superstar I was going to take a walk to my favorite little hardware store.  Awesomeness.  And so I grab my earbuds and head out.  I get a few blocks from our apartment, and I notice an elderly Hispanic woman saying something to me.  Take the earbuds out.  And say in English, I'm sorry, what did you say.  No ingles.  Fortunately, I happen to speak Spanish, and she is asking me for 19th street - which is on the other side of the expressway.  I ask her where on 19th.  5th Ave.  (we are at 10th ave)  I say, that's pretty far.  She is almost in tears.  Dios mio.  I say it's ok (ps - all this is in spanish) I'll help you, do you want to go get the bus?  No, I'm lost.  I don't know how I got turned around.  I encourage her that it is going to be ok.  I say listen, let me go grab my car, I'll be back in 10 minutes, and I will drive you home.  No, I'll just walk (tears).  No, sit down here, I'll be right back.  I go grab the car, come back, and she has tears as I help her into the car, and physically it is challenging for her to even sit down and get her feet in.  You are God's gift to me my child.  Oh God, thank you God.  My child, you are saving me.  It's ok.  We'll get you home.  On the car ride, I find out she is Maura Torres.  A Dominican that came here 30 years ago not knowing what she would do.  She told me about how she goes to church every day and prays.  Tells me that she will pray for me and my family each day.  She is 76.  She is so thankful that God brought me to her to help.  Who does this anyway she says.  Oh my child.  Sometimes I don't know even what I will eat, but I trust God and he always blesses me.  I pray that He will bless you.  You have a family?  Smiles.  Both of us nearly in tears as we share our faith in Jesus.  That He is good and will always take care of each of us.  I tell her what a blessing she is to me this day.  That the love of Christ is between us, and that we are here to help each other.  We talk about how important it is to have faith.  Even when things don't seem right, she tells me no matter what to have faith.

Funny thing is, I think that maybe she was more of a gift to me from God than I was to her.  He blessed me with this beautiful woman and an opportunity to serve her in need.  And I immediately have a love for Maura that I never knew I had.  And it is in my neighborhood.  And God revealed to me that my neighborhood is the world.  Saturday we ran a 5k in the park to raise money for the Pokot people in Africa.  Next year, we will run for shoes for our orphan friends in India.  And this day, I get to spend time and learn about Maura - my Dominican friend.  And I thank God for pressing into my heart that my neighborhood is worldwide.  And I pray for Maura.  I hope I might have a chance to connect with her again soon.  In my neighborhood.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Too, Too, Too Much Fun

Big Difference.

By far the most beautiful.