Monumental Historical Day

Today marks a day in history that will be in every history book for the rest of time. Today marks the inauguration of the first African American President of the United States. I felt honored to stand in a hallway with almost entirely young African Americans. I nearly started crying as President Obama was sworn in and gave his speech to America and the world.
In our messed up world, too many years have passed and too many oppression has been inflicted on the black man as well as many other groups in America. Today, I saw a glimpse of what Jesus sees. Opportunity to live freely and pursue your dreams. I saw hope in the craziness that African Americans have endured for too many years, and I saw flash before me some of the comments and attitudes that are still prevalent today in our society. Sadness lurks over my shoulder as I see the injustices.
Then Briggsy challenges me to read Dr. Martin Luther King Jr’s ‘Letter from a Birmingham Jail.’ New rule-everyone should read this on MLK Day. Not even 45 years ago, the injustices to an entire race hurt me in my soul. To think of the humanity of whites oppressing blacks is unconscionable to me. And yet, we continue to conform to this world and think that for some ungodly reason, we are better than the next guy, or group, or race. Injustice reigns in this world of sin. I pray for peace on earth more than ever. I thank God for his vision and His reality where we have an African American president. I pray for Obama and his leadership staff, for great decisions for ALL that he spoke of today. I am thankful that we have a president that is historic, and I pray for his term(s) to be great successes in meeting the needs of underprivileged people across the United States.

Comments

K said…
It was very cool. I love that he reminded us that life isn't about the pursuit of comfort, but that it should be hard work and responsibility!
Superstar said…
It is really neat to see such a stride forward in America towards equality. I feel bad for those who are putting ALL of their hope in a man or politics, as we can only put our hope in Jesus. But, I am overjoyed to see the celebrations of people around the globe who know this is a huge step towards the TRUTH that WE ARE ALL CREATED IN GOD'S IMAGE!!! And, I also agree that y'all should read the letter from MLK. Powerful and true!

Popular posts from this blog

Too, Too, Too Much Fun

Big Difference.

10 years in a day